SB 1564 – Detrimental to Both Healthcare Providers and Patients”
SB 1564 “as amended by Senate Amendment 3 undermines the freedom of conscience and invites intimidation and legal action against pro-life healthcare providers, and threatens the core mission of pregnancy resource centers that offer women alternatives to abortion.”
SB 1564 Would Erode the Following …
- Freedom of conscience for healthcare providers right NOT TO counsel or refer for conscience-violating services which have been statutorily protected in Illinois for nearly 20 years.
SB 1564 Would Create the Following …
1. New obligations for healthcare providers, including pregnancy resource centers that offer women alternatives to abortion, to participate in conscience-violating activities.
SB 1564 Would use Government Force …
1. To impose new and unnecessary obligations that are contrary to the longstanding law that appropriately protects both the freedom of conscience and patient care.
SB 1564 Obligates …
1. Healthcare facilities, physicians, or potentially conscience-violating services by requiring the provider to refer or transfer a patient, and or provide information on other healthcare providers that would provide the morally objected-to services.
SB 1564 Creates a Duty …
1. Health care professionals inform patients of “legal treatment options”, that would violate the healthcare provider’s conscience.
Note: This could later be used by abortion advocacy groups as a basis for lawsuits against these healthcare providers.
1. Discuss the “benefits” of abortion and where to obtain abortions.
2. Provide this information in a “timely manner”. Without stipulating what constitutes
“timely”, it goes on to define “undue delay”, as “unreasonable delay that causes impairment of the patient’s health”.
1. Adding stress on an already overtaxed healthcare system by creating an even greater shortage of physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals.
CALL YOUR SENATOR TODAY!
TELL THEM TO VOTE NO ON SB 1564